We love these easy Mushroom and Nut Vegetarian Sausage Rolls. They are a delicious vegetarian version of meat-based sausage rolls, flavour packed with mushrooms, nuts, cheeses, herbs and spices.
These are great all year round but make great Christmas and New Year nibbles.
Using store-bought puff pastry in a very handy pre-measured sheet makes this recipe super easy to prepare. All the ingredients can be prepped in advance too!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Mushroom and Nut Vegetarian Sausage rolls
- Mushrooms – we use Chestnut Mushrooms for extra “meatiness” and flavour.
- Red onions – adds sweetness
- Garlic – adds depth of flavour
- Ground Almonds – to help bind the mixture together
- Chopped Walnuts – for texture
- Dried mixed herbs or use your favourite herbs
- Paprika – to spice it up a little
- Cheeses, we use a combination of Parmesan and Cheddar
- Olive oil
- Egg, for egg wash
And here’s how to make them
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the red onions for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, garlic, herbs and paprika and gently cook for around 15 minutes, stirring to make sure nothing catches. The mushroom mixture should be reduced down by the end of cooking.
- Stir in the grounds almonds, chopped walnuts and the grated cheeses and take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut in half lengthways.
- Take your mushroom mixture and place half along the middle of one half of the puff pastry. Repeat on the other half.
- Egg wash the fold edge on each length to help seal the edges.
- Roll the long edge of one of the puff pastry sheets into a sausage shape, making sure the fold is on the bottom. Repeat with the second pastry piece.
- Cut into pieces as desired. We make some small and a few larger.
- Place the cut mushroom roll pieces onto a baking tray and brush each one with the egg wash.
- Finish with a generous sprinkling of both white and black sesame seeds.
Place in a heated oven for around 20-25 minutes until lovely and golden and well risen.
These easy mushroom and nut vegetarian sausage rolls are simply delicious and can be enjoyed warm or cold. They make a light snack or part of a larger meal with salad. Make lots they won’t be around for long!
- Any nuts chopped will be equally delicious, choose your favourite but also keep the ground almonds.
- Vary the toppings, poppy seeds, black onion seeds or flaxseeds (linseeds) also work well.
- Spice them up with chilli flakes or half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
For more delicious recipes:
- Cheesy Parsley Pesto Baked Potatoes
- Super Simple Salmon Bites
- Sweet Potato Red Onion Puff Pastry Tart
- Stuffed Pasta Shells with Butternut Squash Sauce
Nutritional Info Links:
Easy Mushroom and Nut Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 250 grams/2 heaped cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1-2 teaspoons paprika
- 50 grams/½ cup ground almonds
- 30 grams/¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 40 grams/⅓ cup grated cheese
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 small egg, beaten
- white and black sesame seeds to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Gently fry the red onion in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, minced garlic cloves, herbs and paprika to the pan and gently cook for around 15 minutes until the mixture has reduced. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture does not catch.
- Take the pan off the hear and stir in the ground almonds and chopped walnuts as well as the cheeses. Leave to cool.
- Unroll the puff pastry onto the baking tray and cut in half lengthways.
- Place half of the mushroom mixture along the middle of the one half of the puff pastry and repeat with the other half.
- Roll each one into a sausage shape. Egg wash along the fold to seal before finishing rolling. Make sure the fold is on the bottom (the filling may pop out otherwise).
- Cut each long roll into pieces, we make most small and a few larger.
- Egg wash all the mushroom and nut rolls with the beaten egg.
- Generously sprinkle the tops of the cut rolls with the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and well risen.
We used a combination of Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses but other grated hard cheeses will also work well.
Other seeds such as black onion, poppy or flaxseeds can be substitued for sesame seeds.
I’ve made these a couple times now to take along to gatherings – so simple to put together and SO popular with everyone! Really tasty. Thanks.