These Mediterranean inspired, rainbow colored, Mozzarella Low Carb Stuffed Peppers are a perfect addition to a weekend lunch table. They are a low carb dish that are easy to make with fairly fast prep.
There are many variations for fillings for stuffed peppers such as beans, especially black beans, Quinoa, Lentils, vegetarian chilli or bolognaise for example. Also so many different cheeses to experiment with apart from Mozzarella. Halloumi, Feta or grated Cheddar are all great too!
best peppers to use for stuffed peppers?
Personally we love red, orange and yellow peppers. The riper Bell peppers become, the sweeter they will taste and their health benefits will also change. For example, a red pepper contains way more vitamin A and anti-oxidants than a green pepper. Red peppers are also an excellent source of vitamins B6 and C, as well as vitamin E, K, folic acid and potassium. They are rich carotenoids which act as anti-oxidants in the body. Carotenoids are plant pigments responsible for the bright red, orange and yellow colours in many fruits and vegetables.
All peppers start off as unripe and green, then ripen into red peppers. But in between they first change into yellow then orange. I like to use a variety of colours from red to orange.
why Are they called Bell Peppers and are they as hot as Chilli Peppers?
Bell Peppers were named after their (approximate) bell shape. They are known as sweet peppers as they lack the capsaicin, the chemical in chilli peppers, such as jalapeno, that makes them fiery hot!
How to Prepare the Bell Peppers for Stuffing
There are two ways to go about this, for this recipe I have halved the peppers vertically, keeping the stalks intact. But they are equally good cut horizontally for a deeper filling. Once cut (whichever way) clean out the white membranes and seeds as cleanly as possible.
Once stuffed with the red onion, garlic, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, place the Mozzarella randomly over the peppers.
Pop into the oven and bake for 50 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. The peppers will bake and steam gently in the oven to become relaxed and sloppy but oozing with healthy ingredients and that cheesy topping. I add extra Mozzarella at this stage for another layer of cheese for texture and just because I love cheese!
Nutritional Info Links:
Mozzarella Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell Peppers, 2 red, 1 orange and 1 yellow
- 4 ½ ounces Mozzarella Cheese, drained and torn into small pieces
- 1½ cups Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 10-15 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Black pepper
- Basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil , plus extra to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each pepper in half vertically leaving the stalks on.
- Clean out each pepper half, removing the white membranes and seeds.
- Place a tablespoon of olive oil on a baking sheet and spread around until fully coated.
- Place the peppers onto the oiled baking sheet, cut-side up.
- Fry the red onion, garlic and mushrooms with a tablespoon of olive oil until softened.
- Divide the red onion, garlic, mushroom mixture equally between all the peppers.
- Place 2-3 halved cherry tomatoes into each pepper.
- Place some Mozzarella cheese randomly over each pepper.
- Drizzle all peppers with olive oil and season.
- Bake for around 50 minutes or until golden.
- Top with extra Mozzarella and grind some black pepper over the cheese.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Nutritious Deliciousness. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.