Roasting is a great way to prepare cauliflower. This side dish of roasted cauliflower with chickpeas and tahini pomegranate dressing is one of many delicious ways to make cauliflower more appetizing.
Cauliflowers have a mild taste, but are very good as a base for other flavours which can be added to enhance what could be a bland vegetable. My mum used to do what most people did back then and boiled cauliflower and other vegetables, not quite into submission but still bland and a touch soggy.
what are the health benefits of a cauliflower?
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable which is high in fibre and B vitamins. It is rich in health-giving phytonutrients, containing numerous anti-oxidants including a good source of vitamin C. Cauliflower is also rich in folic acid, potassium, vitamin K and omega 3 fatty acids to help with inflammation.
This recipe combines complex carbs with plant-based protein from the chickpeas and the tahini (sesame seeds), perfect match.
are cauliflowers high in carbohydrates?
Cauliflower is a very versatile low complex carbohydrate vegetable. Carbohydrates fall into two categories, simple and complex. Sugars are simple carbs, e.g. cakes, sweets which give you fast energy but also mainly lack nutrients. Complex carbs are non-starchy and slowly release glucose for more stable blood glucose levels and have plenty of fibre with low amounts of naturally occurring sugar.
apart from roasting, how else can i prepare cauliflower?
I use leftover steamed cauliflower to create a simple sauce, blend whilst still warm and add water as necessary to make a silky, smooth sauce that can be added to soups and sauces as a non-dairy replacement for cream. I also hide it in vegetarian lasagne to add extra nutrition for the children. Cauliflower isn't the most popular vegetable in childhood, but too good to miss out on!
what is pomegranate molassses?
If you haven't tried Pomegranate Molasses you are missing a delicious ingredient! You only need a small amount to add another level of flavour to your salads or dressings. Pomegranate Molasses is simply pomegranate juice that has been reduced down with or without adding sugar to make a syrup. You can also make your own if you wish.
making roasted cauliflower with chickpeas and tahini pomegranate dressing
First step is to blanch your cauliflower for 1-2 minutes in boiled water. Drain well, set aside to cool. Put the cooled cauliflower into a bowl with olive oil, cumin seeds and chilli flakes and stir to completely cover. Season with sea salt. Spread the cauliflower out into a roasting tin and roast for 20-25 minutes until cooked.
Place the chickpeas into another bowl with olive oil and the sea salt. Toss until evenly coated, then spread the chickpeas evenly onto a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes or until nicely crispy.
Make the dressing: combine the Tahini and pomegranate molasses, stir well adding enough water to make a thin sauce. Make as thick or thin to your preference. To serve, drizzle the dressing randomly over the cauliflower florets.
Easy, simple recipe with some great flavours.
More Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Info Links:
Roasted Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Tahini Pomegranate Dressing
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a pan of boiling water and blanch the cauliflower for couple of minutes. Drain well and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil, cumin seeds and dried chilli flakes into a bowl. Place the cauliflower into the bowl and toss until well coated. Season to taste.
- Spoon the cauliflower florets into a roasting pan, spreading them out evenly. Spoon the remaining oil/cumin seeds/chilli flakes left in the bowl over the cauliflower.
- Place the chickpeas into another bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the sea salt. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly onto a baking tray
- Place the cauliflower and the chickpeas into the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Take the chickpeas out of the oven if they are roasted to your preference.
- Roast the cauliflower for a further 5-10 minutes as necessary.
- Make the dressing, combine the Tahini and pomegranate molasses, stir well adding enough water to make a thin sauce. Make as thick or thin to your preference.
- To serve, drizzle the dressing randomly over the cauliflower florets.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Nutritious Deliciousness. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.