This Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad includes crisp green apples, crunchy almonds, and sweet pomegranate seeds. Tossed with a honey dijon dressing, this vibrant salad has the most amazing contrast of flavors and textures.
- ❤️ Why You'll Love This Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 🛒 Ingredients for Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 🔪 How to Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 💡 Tips for Making Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- ☑️ Storage Instructions
- 🍴 What to Serve with Healthy Brussels Salad
- 🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- What's the Best Way to Get Seeds from a Pomegranate?
- Is this salad suitable for Keto?
- Can I Make This Salad In Advance?
- Can I use pre-shredded Brussels sprouts?
- 🍽️ More Healthy Salad Recipes
❤️ Why You'll Love This Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- Crisp green apple slices and sweet pomegranate
- Toasted, slivered almonds adds a nice crunch
- Tossed in a flavorful homemade dressing
- Wonderful contrast in textures
- Dairy-free, Vegan and Gluten-Free
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad is anything but your ordinary green salad. It starts with tender shreds of Brussels sprouts that create a fresh, crisp base. They're complemented by sweet green apples and a burst of vibrant red pomegranate seeds.
Toasted slivered almonds add a delightful bit of crunch, while fresh mint gives the salad a surprising pop of refreshing flavor. It's finished with a sweet and zesty dressing that ties all the ingredients together. It's truly an extraordinary side, perfect for a casual meal or special occasions.
Fresh Brussels sprouts not only taste amazing in this salad, but they're also loaded with fiber and nutrients. If you're looking for other Brussels sprouts recipes, check out this recipe for Sautéed Shredded Brussels Sprouts or these Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
🛒 Ingredients for Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Brussels sprouts
- Green apple
- Pomegranate seeds
- Slivered almonds
- Fresh mint
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Honey (or Agave, if Vegan)
- Dijon mustard
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
How to Make the Dressing
Add all of the dressing ingredients to the cup of a bullet blender or immersion blender.
Blend until well combined and emulsified. If you don’t have either, you can use a mixing bowl and a whisk. Add all the ingredients to the bowl, then slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking. Set the dressing aside while you prepare the Brussels sprouts.
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts
Wash, dry, and trim the end of each Brussels sprout. Place them, a few at a time, in a food processor fitted with a slicing blade on a very thin setting and shred.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can certainly shred them using a sharp knife. You are looking for nice, thin shreds that will give you the best texture for a salad.
Place the shredded Brussels sprouts in a bowl.
Add the chopped apple, toasted slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds, and fresh chopped mint on top.
Pour the dressing over the top, toss and serve.
💡 Tips for Making Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Choose fresh sprouts: Always start with fresh Brussels sprouts for the best flavor and texture. You’ll want to look for sprouts that are firm, bright green, and free from blemishes.
- Washing: The leaves of Brussels sprouts can trap sand or debris. Wash the Brussels sprouts thoroughly before you begin shredding them.
- Trimming: You’ll want to trim the woody ends and remove any outer leaves that appear wilted or damaged.
- Shredding: You can always use a sharp knife, but using a food processor with a slicing blade gives you the most uniform results. You can also use a kitchen mandoline slicer; just keep an eye on your fingers.
☑️ Storage Instructions
Store the shredded Brussels sprouts salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator to maintain freshness and crispness for up to a day or two. If possible, keep the dressing separate and add it just before serving to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
🍴 What to Serve with Healthy Brussels Salad
This is a very versatile salad that you can serve with any main course. Because it has so many flavors and textures, I like to serve it with a simple protein like these Air Fryer Chicken Thighs or these Pan Fried Pork Chops.
🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- For another savory ingredient, sprinkle crumbled feta, goat cheese, or shaved Parmesan over the tossed salad.
- Add zestier flavor to the dressing by adding a pinch of fresh orange or grapefruit zest.
- You can throw in a few dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped dried apricots to give the salad little bites of sweet chewiness.
- Make it a complete meal by topping it with grilled chicken tenders, crispy bacon, strips of grilled steak, or slices of pork tenderloin.
- Give it a spicy kick with a pinch of red pepper flakes in the dressing or sprinkle them over the top of the salad.
- Include cooked and cooled grains like quinoa or farro to add more nutrients and make it even more hearty.
- Swap the dressing with any vinaigrette you prefer. This Lemon Vinaigrette or this Apricot Vinaigrette are both great options.
Also be sure to try this tricolor vegetable salad made with a dairy-free honey lemon dressing!
What's the Best Way to Get Seeds from a Pomegranate?
The quickest and easiest way is to buy the seeds that come in a container in the produce department grocery store.
But if you have a fresh pomegranate, just cut the pomegranate in half, hold it over a bowl, and tap the back with a wooden spoon to release the seeds. Another way is to submerge the halves in water and gently separate the seeds
Is this salad suitable for Keto?
This Brussels sprouts salad is fairly low in carbohydrates, making it a good option for those following a low-carb diet. Because of the green apple and pomegranate seeds, the sugars may be a little high for Keto, unless you can fit it in your macros.
Can I Make This Salad In Advance?
You can make this salad several hours in advance. If you want to meal prep a day or so in advance, you shred the Brussels sprouts, slice the apple, and measure out the almonds and pomegranate seeds. Store them in separate containers from the dressing. Combine them just before serving to maintain optimal freshness and texture.
Can I use pre-shredded Brussels sprouts?
Technically, yes. Preferably, no. Pre-shredded works great when you'll be cooking them, but for the perfect crispness and freshness, freshly shredded works best.
🍽️ More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Sweet Potato Winter Salad
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Burrata Caprese Salad
- Pickled Beets Salad
- Best Quinoa Salad
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
For the Salad
- 1 ½ pounds raw Brussels sprouts
- 1 small green apple, diced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
To Make the Dressing
To Shred the Brussels Sprouts
- Wash, dry and trim the end of each Brussels sprout. Place them a few at a time, in a food processor fitted with a slicing blade on a very thin setting and shred.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can certainly shred them using a sharp knife. You are looking for nice thin shreds, this will give you the best texture for a salad.
- Place the shredded Brussels sprouts in a bowl. Add the chopped apple, toasted slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds and fresh chopped mint on top.
- Pour the dressing over the top, toss and serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Nutritious Deliciousness. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.