This sweet and chunky Homemade Applesauce combines the simple goodness of fresh apples with a touch of warm cinnamon spice in every spoonful. It's delicious, versatile, and ready in under 30 minutes.
- ❤️ Why You'll Love This Applesauce Recipe
- 🛒 Ingredients for Homemade Applesauce
- 🔪 How to Make Applesauce
- ☑️ Storage Instructions
- 🍴 Delicious Ways to Use this Applesauce
- 🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- How Do I Make Applesauce Vegan?
- Can I Use Any Type of Apple for this Recipe?
- Is it Necessary to Peel the Apples?
- Can I Use Apple Juice Instead of Cider?
- 🍽️ More Sweet Sauce Recipes
❤️ Why You'll Love This Applesauce Recipe
- Sweet and chunky, classic homemade applesauce
- Made using fresh, crisp apples
- Apple cider gives the applesauce extra flavor
- Ground cinnamon and honey add sweetness
- It takes less than 30 minutes to make
- Can be made Vegan
This homemade applesauce recipe is all about keeping things simple yet totally delicious at the same time. It starts with fresh, sweet, and crisp apples, which really take center stage in every bite. A touch of apple cider adds extra apple flavor and the slightest bit of tanginess, perfectly balancing out the flavors.
It's so versatile, too! You can serve it warm, at room temperature, or straight out of the fridge. It makes an awesome side dish to serve with a hearty meal or a sweet afternoon snack. Regardless of when or how you choose to serve it, this recipe offers a quick and easy way to enjoy all the flavors of fall.
Apples are a good source of essential nutrients like dietary fiber and vitamin C. This is why they make a wholesome addition to everything from main courses to desserts.
🛒 Ingredients for Homemade Applesauce
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Applesauce
Wash and peel your apples. Once peeled, cut them into medium-sized pieces. I used an apple corer and slicer in one, and it really made things much easier. From there, I just cut the slices in half.
Add the sliced apples to a Dutch oven or large pot.
Pour the apple cider, honey, lemon juice, and ground cinnamon over the top, then toss to combine.
Cover and simmer for 15–18 minutes, or until the apples are cooked through and broken down.
At this point, you can either leave it chunky or break down the larger pieces using an immersion blender or mini chopper.
Serve and enjoy!
☑️ Storage Instructions
- Fridge: Once the applesauce has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to an airtight container or a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freezer: If you want to make a double batch to keep on hand, you can freeze it. Transfer it to airtight freezer-safe containers or freezer bags. Just make sure to remove as much air as possible. Label the containers with the date and freeze for up to 6 months.
🍴 Delicious Ways to Use this Applesauce
- Pancake or waffle topping: Use applesauce as a healthy alternative to syrup on low-carb pancakes or waffles.
- Oatmeal add-in: Give your overnight oats even more apple flavor by mixing in a spoonful of applesauce.
- Yogurt parfait: Layer applesauce with yogurt and some of this granola.
- Smoothies: Add a spoonful of applesauce to your favorite smoothie recipe.
- Baked goods: You can use applesauce as a substitute for oil or butter when baking certain desserts.
- Fruit salad dressing: Use applesauce as a dressing for fruit salads.
- Homemade popsicles: For a healthy afternoon snack, freeze applesauce in popsicle molds.
- Dessert topping: Drizzle warm applesauce over this Keto ice cream, this cheesecake instead of the strawberry topping, or this scrumptious homemade Keto pound cake.
- BBQ sauce: Add a touch of sweetness to this homemade BBQ sauce with a spoonful of this applesauce.
🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- Once the apple sauce is cooked and cooled, stir in fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries for a burst of color.
- Cook cranberries with the apples to create a tart and tangy holiday twist. You can also add dried cranberries or even raisins to the applesauce.
- Feel free to add a dash of your favorite extract. Vanilla, coconut, lemon, or almond extracts all work great with the flavors of apples.
- Freshly grated nutmeg or cloves give the apple sauce a more intense, warm spice flavor
- Drizzle caramel sauce over your applesauce for an easy and super-delicious sweet treat.
- You can add fresh zest from oranges or lemons for a burst of fresh, zesty flavor.
- Chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans, or almonds can add a delicious crunch.
How Do I Make Applesauce Vegan?
All you have to do is use about 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey.
Can I Use Any Type of Apple for this Recipe?
Yes, you can use various apple varieties, but sweeter apples like Honeycrisp, Gala, or Fuji work best.
Is it Necessary to Peel the Apples?
Peeling the apples is personal choice. Peel them if you want a smoother texture, but you can leave the peel on for added fiber and a chunkier sauce.
Can I Use Apple Juice Instead of Cider?
And all natural apple juice can be used as a substitute, but apple cider works well to balance out the flavors.
🍽️ More Sweet Sauce Recipes
- Chocolate Sauce
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Keto Blueberry Sauce
- Keto Mock Apple Sauce
- Raspberry Sauce
- Strawberry Sauce
- Wash and peel your apples. Once peeled, since them into medium size pieces. I used an apple corer and slicer in one and it really made things much easier. From there I just cut the slices in half.
- Pour the apple cider, honey, lemon juice and ground cinnamon over the top, then toss to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until the apples are cooked through and broken down.
- Serve warm or cold.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Nutritious Deliciousness. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.